6 Months, 20-30 hrs/week, Online
11 March 2024
27 February 2024
Being a back-end developer is a bit like being the electrician of a website or app. Without the right connections behind the scenes, the lights in front don’t quite work.
As a back-end developer, your role is to build and manage servers, security, and data storage that help websites run properly. While back-end developers work on unseen processes, their contributions are vital to the success and functionality of all digital platforms.
The programme kicks off with ALX Foundations, a 2-month module that prepares you to thrive in the digital workforce. You will learn critical communication, leadership, and career-building skills that will help you develop into a well-rounded professional.
You will learn the basics of programming with languages like Python and data management tools like SQL. The capstone project culminates with planning, developing, and deploying a backend web application that is fully-functional. This hands-on, project-based learning style prepares you to work as a backend developer after graduation.
No matter your skill level, this programme is designed to take you from novice to a job-ready back-end web developer in 6 months.
- Onboarding & Fundamentals of the web
- Command Line Basics
- Introduction to Python
- Introducing Logic into programming (Control flow and loops)
- Functions, Data Structures & Modules
- Programming Paradigms & Exception handling
- More about OOP
- Introduction to Databases
- Web framework and ORMs
- APIs and Authentication
- Introduction to Django and Basic Overview
- Deepening Understanding of Django Models and Databases
- Exploring Django Views, Templates, and Forms
- Advanced Django Concepts
- Building a Complete Django Application
- Capstone Project
- Basic proficiency in back-end languages like Python, Node.js, and Express.js
- Database management with SQL (e.g., MySQL) and NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB) databases
- REST API, Authentication, and other back-end concepts
- How to build a basic, functional web application from the ground up
- To problem-solve based on real-world scenarios
- Mastering skills in essential back-end areas like database and server management, data security, and data storage.
- To ensure the website performs correctly with clean back-end logic, architecture, and application programming interface (APIs).
- Preparing for further learning or other job opportunities in the back-end web development sector.
Skills You'll Gain
Start Your Career in Tech as a Back-End Developer
58% of job openings in the digital economy require basic coding and programming skills.
Software developers worldwide
Of back-end developers learn online
Top Employers Who Are Hiring Back-End Developers
Fees & Financing
Our partnerships allow us to offer eligible candidates access to sponsored world-class training with programme costs waived.
For all successfully accepted learners, ALX charges a one-time administration fee, payable upfront or in monthly instalments to confirm your enrollment in your programme.
|Programme Value (cost waived)
|2024 Administration Fee
|Pay in Full (discount 20%)
|2x Instalment Plan
|Pay as you Learn (monthly)
- 18-34 years old
- Of African origin
- Ability to write and speak English proficiently
- A laptop or desktop computer with access to a stable internet connection
The ALX Back-End Developer programme is suitable for complete beginners as well as those with limited coding experience, and tech-savvy professionals looking to level up their skill set.
This program has no prerequisites or prior experience required in Back-End Development or coding. However, to be successful we do require you to be able to dedicate up to 20 hours a week for the duration of the program, you will be required to have access to a steady internet connections and be proficient in written and spoken English.
All ALX learners are invited to join Fellowship community where you will have access to a global network of resources, job opportunities, and ongoing career support.
Please ask LEA our Learning Experience Assistant for more information and answers to any additional questions.
Due to training requirements and programme rigour, ALX permits learners to be enrolled in one programme at any given time. If you have applied to or are currently enrolled in a programme, you will not be eligible to apply to another programme.